Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Spring '09 Semester Reflections

What a wonderful and busy semester! I learned so much! Overall, I loved my classes – Fiction, Japan’s Modern Revolution, History of Rome, Sociology, and Religion & Culture in America (well maybe not Religion…) In Fiction, I learned that there are a lot of disturbing novels available (i.e. Lolita and Dogeaters). I learned that the Japanese sang “Ee ja nai ka?” in the streets on the eve of the revolution, meaning “What the heck?” I learned everything I know about Rome from Talbert, the best professor at UNC. (Who knew that Cleopatra was such a manipulative, popular lady friend of Caesar and Antony?) I learned people have really broad definitions of religion… and for the record, I still don’t see jazz and coca-cola as religions. I taught 7th graders about Lao Tzu, Confucius, and Buddha and learned that though 7th grade kids are down right mean, they can be quite entertaining.

I read A LOT of books (I even left 2 out by accident – The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man by James Weldon Johnson, and Ceremony, by Leslie Marmon Silko).

I worried when Weston was in the hospital with pancreatitis… and other family members that have been in the hospital since then.

I got my wisdom teeth removed and then had to re-visit the doctors because of pain during that week. (which, by the way, my parking ticket appeal to NC Central was denied! I found out yesterday - grrr... what am I supposed to do, make my car float while I go inside to get the permit?)

I got to play in the first big snow since I’ve been at Carolina… and still had to go to class.

I’ve endured a whole semester without one of my closest friends, Erin, who was in Madagascar and now is in Botswana. Here we are talking on the phone with her while standing in the line for the UNC-dook game.

Speaking of… I celebrated 2 wins against dook and a National Championship (WHOO!!)

Wow, this semester has flown by! Four semesters down and two to go! I’m four exams away from being a senior! Crazy!

To see my reflections of last semester… click here.

laura ann

No comments: