Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What's wrong with being "just" a woman?

In a discussion about gender in my religion class today, I was appalled by people’s views on women in religion. But before I start my rant, please know that though UNC is a liberal university, I think that many people here are “bandwagon” liberals. I think that many people here are afraid to speak out against the grain, which I find SO interesting since everyone thinks that being “liberal” is going against the grain. Anyhooo….

It is no secret that I want to get married young, build a home, and have children. I want to be a wife, a mother, a nurturer, and a homemaker. My priority will not be my career, though I plan to have one as a teacher. And that is okay. Sure, I go to a prestigious university and plan to graduate with a masters degree in 2011 and while I will be proud of my accomplishments, they won’t define me. I want to enter a covenant of marriage, and dare I say it, submit to my husband out of love and respect – just as the church does to Christ. What’s that? “Submit?” you ask, “but that’s not PC!” (Oh the horror! – insert sarcasm)

Why yes, I believe in submitting to my husband out of love and respect, because on the other side of the equation, he will honor me with his sacrifices out of love and respect. Oh, what? It’s mutual? YEAH! Have you read all of Ephesians 5? The rest of it says:

“Husbands, love your wives just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.. Husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. Man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one.” verses 25, 28, 31

So, my husband will make sacrifices for me out of love and respect, just as Christ does for the church. My husband will love me as he loves himself because we shall be one. Not 2 unequal parts of a whole – but one whole. We will love, honor, and respect each other – it’s a mutual thing!

Sorry, I got a bit off track there… but back to original rant…

Did you know there is such a thing as a “politically correct” bible? There is! All the places that once said Father (as in “Our father in Heaven”) have been changed to either Father-Mother or God. All the places that said “Son of Man,” now say “the Human One.” Even though I want to laugh at such ridiculousness, it really frustrates me. Seriously? Women and men are different! We were both made in God’s image (Genesis 1:27) and we are both fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14). God didn’t just create men and women with different parts and of different names without a reason. It was intentional. It is okay to be different from men – men aren’t better than women, therefore, being different from men doesn’t make women any less better.

So, get over your need to be politically correct lest you offend someone. The sheer fact that you think that when something is not politically correct it might offend women, is offensive in itself.

No comments: