Thursday, November 19, 2009

Day 8

Boy, I'm feeling thankful for a lot of things today. This "I am thankful for" activity really helps me recognize all the blessings in my life. Have you noticed that too?

Today I am thankful for my education. I seriously love learning. I know I'm a nerd, but I don't care. I love reading (most of the time) and discovering new things. I love going to the library and looking at all the books. I think I might retire from my teaching career (that hasn't started yet) and be a librarian instead. I also love going to the manuscripts department in Wilson Library and looking at all the old documents. Its so cool, looking at slave letters or memo's sent by the Chancellor or scrapbooks from the 1800s... Maybe I should just research instead of being a teacher or a librarian. But then I'd have to publish my work... and I'm not really into that. I like to learn just for the sake of learning.

I'm thankful that teaching is a pretty awesome profession where I can follow through on my passions... and continue to learn.

I am thankful that I can learn at this awesome university. Actually, I am thankful that I live in a country that I am able to learn about anything and everything.

I mean, don't you just want to go to the library and pick up a good book and learn something new? I mean you won't have to take a test, or write a paper, or give a presentation on it... but just so do it for the sake of learning.

No? Ok, maybe I'm a little extreme.

But boy do I love to learn! I love my history classes - they are pretty stinkin' awesome. My history professors are pretty smart too... one is the Dean of the Honors Program, one is the chair of the Undergraduate History Department, one is a graduate of Yale, Harvard, & Stanford, and one is a world leader in research for the Holocaust - he even has his on [legit] wikipedia page. How awesome is that!?! I am thankful to go to this school and have these contacts, resources, and professors!
laura ann

No comments: