Friday, September 25, 2009

Mom's Gamma Knife Procedure

Thanks for the love, support, and prayers for today.

The Gamma Knife procedure went well overall today. However, it was worse (pain wise) than Mom expected. It was also very, very long. We got to the hospital this morning at 6 am.... and we got back home at 5:30 pm. First they inserted 4 pins into her head with the points touching her skull in 4 corners. The brace was used to keep her head still during the procedure. She then had an MRI so they could locate exactly the size and locations of the tumors. Then for several hours the team of doctors prepared a plan of attack. The procedure itself lasted about 3 1/2 hours. During that time they "lazor beamed" (I'm not a medical expert and I don't pretend to know the correct terms...) the tumors 13 times (I think?). Following the procedure, they removed the brace and pins, which caused intense pressure in her head giving her a tremendous headache as you can imagine. We are now home and she is laying as still as possible. I had no idea it would be like this - everyone made it seem like it would be a breeze.

What a day! (I got a whopping 3 hours of sleep this morning after staying up until 2 am writing a paper and getting up at 5 am to go to the hospital!) Again, thanks for your prayers and support and love! I'll keep you updated!
laura ann

1 comment:

Shelly Ford said...

Laura, thanks so much for the update on Mom. Everyone at work kept asking me about it and her and I had no answers for them. I tried texting your dad but never heard back. I had no idea she had to be there so early, and you're right, everyone made it sound like a breeze. I'm so sorry it caused her even more pain. Hopefully the end result will bring such delight that it will make the pain from the procedure seem insignificant. Much love, Ms. Shelly